[clug] Looking for a netbook

Jim Croft jim.croft at gmail.com
Mon Aug 10 23:32:58 MDT 2009

I have an EeePC 900HA.  Unpacked the box and immediately trashed and
extirpated all trace of a bloated installed operating system.

Installed Ubuntu 9.05 UNR and *everything* on the machine 'just
worked' (tm).  The internal speaker is a bit gutless, but I am not
really into ghetto blasters. The keyboard is a bit of a toy, and the
touch pad is a bit hair triggered for my liking. But hey, it all 'just
worked'.

Externally, my Telstra Orange 3G usb modem 'just worked', but the
newer Telstra blue replacement 'just didn't'.  Chris assured me a
couple of CLUGs ago (note new temporal metric meme) that drivers for
this were likely to be in the next release of the kernel.

Skype would work tolerably if I stopped being such a tightarse and
purchased a bit more bandwidth from the ISP and told my son to go
outside out of wifi range and smell the flowers...

jim