[clug] Looking for a netbook

Ian Bardsley ifb777 at tpg.com.au
Mon Aug 10 23:01:58 MDT 2009

Ian McLeod wrote:
> We're looking for a netbook - for once in my life my wish actually
> complements the main goal - to save money - i.e. have Linux. My wife
> is, naturally, happy with that idea. It's for the both of us to float
> around he house for net use or whatever, and for travel.
>
> I heard that Asus (eeePC) once came with a Linux distribution
> standard, however have anyone had any real experience with Linux based
> netbooks and have any hints or tips? Are they restricted to one distro
> or can I stick Gnome based Ubuntu on one or would something even
> lighter be advisable?
>
> If it can handle a Bluetooth or USB Nokia phone as a 3G modem that
> would be fantastic, but I suppose we can live without it if we have
> to. I've actually heard of Symbian apps to turn a phone in to a wi-fi
> access point anyway.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ian
Hi Ian

FYI, my wife uses an Asus eeepc running Ubuntu Netbook Remix (Ubuntu
optimised for the screen size and the Atom processor). This little unit
sits as part of our home network and works very well. It even manages a
web cam and we can video call our daughter in South America via Skype
with no problems. For the money, these are great little machines IMHO.

HIH

Ian Bardsley