[clug] Programmer Competency Matrix

Angus Gratton indogus at gmail.com
Fri Aug 7 00:28:39 MDT 2009

On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 3:34 PM, steve jenkin<sjenkin at canb.auug.org.au> wrote:
> What do people think of this approach?
> What about their sections and classifications?

I think it's an interesting matrix. Even though they cover a vast
amount of computer science and software engineering ground, and as you
move up the scale the level of knowledge increases,  a lot of the
classifications seem to boil down to "people like me are good". I
agree with Alex that it may or may not relate to someone being a good
programmer in any particular context.

In particular, I'd worry that the type of programmer who scores
themselves as log(n) on many of the items is susceptible to "Not
Invented Here" syndrome, where the programmer recreates their own
basic algorithms instead of using better, already available, solutions
in established libraries.

FWIW, if you're interested in hiring/interviewing practices then I
quite like these two articles:
http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/GuerrillaInterviewing3.html
http://steve.yegge.googlepages.com/five-essential-phone-screen-questions

(Steve Yegge has a bunch of other interesting posts about interviews &
hiring programmers.)

- Angus