[clug] central auth for Linux only network?

Robert Edwards bob at cs.anu.edu.au
Mon Aug 3 18:01:42 MDT 2009

Chris Smart wrote:
> Greetings,
> What are people using these days for central authentication on a Linux
> only network?
>
> -c

We have been using (open)LDAP with PAM for many years on most of our
systems at ANU Comp. Sci.

For wireless VPN users, we use PPTP authenticating using Windows NT
domain logins to winbind (thanks tpot and abartlett!) which backends
onto the LDAP server (I know you asked about Linux-only, but even
the Linux laptops use this...).

And, as you would know if you'd come to my PSIG presentation on my
yubikey server..., that also supports the LDAP bind method so that
systems needing one-time password (OTP) can also authenticate using
LDAP...

Cheers,

Bob Edwards.