[clug] Head up for those thinking of Ubunty Jaunty with older ATI cards

Robert Edwards bob at cs.anu.edu.au
Tue Apr 28 01:56:40 GMT 2009

Andrew Janke wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> If you plan on going to Ubuntu Jaunty and have an older ATI card that
> uses the Radeon driver be sure to take a read of these:
>
>    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-ati/+bug/363238
>    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-ati/+bug/365886
>
> Otherwise you might just be left with the (somewhat wrong) impression
> that Jaunty is slow and jerky..
>
> Seems that the default acceleration method changed from XAA to EXA in
> the radeon driver for the Jaunty release and not all cards like it
> that much. It is manifested as slow redraw/window moving/firefox
> scrolling/etc In my case the times reported by gtkperf halved when
> switching back to XAA.
>
> My machine: T42 Thinkpad with a ATI Technologies Inc RV350 [Mobility
> Radeon 9600 M10]
>

> --
> Andrew Janke
> (a.janke at gmail.com || http://a.janke.googlepages.com/)
> Canberra->Australia    +61 (402) 700 883

You can also add in: https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/364960 (submitted
by me).

My Compaq Presario B1900 (most Linux-unfriendly laptop ever made...)
uses the ATI chipset. Completely removing (purging) all packages with
"xorg" or "xserver" in their name, then re-installing "ubuntu-desktop"
seems to have fixed things up (under Jaunty).

No idea why the server was (apparently) running happily, but not
displaying anything but a mess and not responding to any input events...
Worked fine under Hardy and Intrepid.

Anyway, fixed now. All I need to do now is get the wireless going again
and then, one day, have another look at the crazy RealTek audio chip...

Bob Edwards.