Fwd: [clug] More starting points

Duncan Roe duncan_roe at optusnet.com.au
Sun Apr 26 03:44:51 GMT 2009

The "official" way to change to a "mini-cli" is Ctl-Alt-F<n> e.g. Ctl-Alt-F6 or
Ctl-Alt-F2 as you mention. In this context, a "mini-cli" is actually a Virtual
Terminal (VT) running in text mode. X-windows itself runs in a VT so you can get
back to your desktop using Ctl-Alt-F<n> where n is 7 for me (Slackware distro)
but "Your Mileage May Vary"(YMMV).

Cheers ... Duncan.

When in a text-mode VT, Ctl-Alt-F<n> still works but you can use Alt-F<n> or
Alt-<left/right arrow> to change to another text VT or the desktop. Some
distributions only enable 1 text-mode VT when X is the default at boot time,
e.g. on my distro only VT6.