Fw: [clug] beginners path

David Tulloh david at tulloh.id.au
Sat Apr 25 01:57:10 GMT 2009

jm wrote:
> This raises an interesting thought:
>
> Would anyone be will to give an introductory talk on how useful Linux
> is in getting everyday tasks done, aimed at the beginners level, ...

The problem I tend to see with 'everyday task' talks is that people's
everyday tasks vary so wildly.

My housemate's home tasks basically just involve a browser.
My parents write a few documents and send a lot of emails.
My sister uses it for music, browser based games, talking to friends and
university work.
My daily usage includes email, browsing, writing documents, writing
scripts and tracking my todo list.
Other people want to record or play movies, do things with photos, IRC etc.

I feel if you try to cover it all it's very superficial and just
confuses people.  To get any depth you need to define a small subset of
tasks and a work or home environment.  Browser, email and word style
documents are probably the common ground but they get fairly trivial if
you use the Mozilla suite on Windows to start with.

David