Fw: [clug] beginners path

Ian Bardsley ifb777 at tpg.com.au
Fri Apr 24 10:06:29 GMT 2009

G'Day David

I well understand your frustration with regard to typing commands into a
terminal to solve a problem without having the remotest idea what those
commands are doing. However, rest assured, that understanding comes over
time.. In my experience of the Linux learning curve, everything you read
adds a snippet to your understanding of what various commands are doing
and persistence with Forums, the manual and magazine articles etc will
develop your confidence to explore the functionality of this operating
system.

On many occasions I have made use of the collective wisdom that is CLUG
in situations where I had been unable to gain understanding of an issue
standing in the way of my progress from other sources and I believe that
is the role of a user group.  There really isn't a formal education path
available to layman PC users wanting to use Linux but there are a
million experienced users out there in the http land who are more than
happy to share their knowledge.  You can always ask them for an
explanation of the solution they may have provided to a problem.

Mate, stick at it.  The benefits far outweigh the frustrations along the
way.  In six months you will be passing along "How To's" to other Linux
noobs.  I'd put money on it

Ian Bardsley