[clug] Flirting Techniiques For Men

Alex Satrapa alexsatrapa at mac.com
Thu Apr 23 00:43:42 GMT 2009

On 23/04/2009, at 09:50 , Rod Peters wrote:

> Some of the discussion in this thread advocates a need to have a
> point of
> contact for Linux beginners.  Agreed, but I doubt that CLUG has many
> beginners.

You'd prefer to send Linux "beginners" off to talk to each other,
rather than have access to people who can answer their questions
correctly the first time?

> FWIW, our experience within PCUG Linux SIG is that a large
> proportion, perhaps
> the majority, of beginners don't persist with Linux.  Difficult to
> say why, in
> the absence of much feedback, but I suggest many aspects, often
> boiling down
> to "comfort zone".

My experience by proxy has been that many people who try asking for
help get brushed off, and many Linux "beginners" can't stand the
circlejerk that most gatherings of Linux fanatics turns into.
Suggesting that "we're too important to be bothered by clueless noobs"
is the kind of attitude I'm talking about.

Linux isn't a small market where helping other people learn the ropes
is going to lead to more competition for scarce resources. Linux is -
from my perspective - more about a philosophy that operating systems
are too important to be "owned" by anyone. We need to be welcoming,
not exclusive.

For what it's worth, I didn't see the original spam or the first
response to it. I'll put it down to Velocity filtering spam. This
discussion has generated more messages than all the spam I've noticed
in the last three years. Perhaps some of you email junkies need to re-
evaluate your priorities.

Alex