[clug] Digital Photo Frames

Robert Edwards bob at cs.anu.edu.au
Tue Apr 21 06:47:35 GMT 2009

Andrew Janke wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Last weekend I got all industrious and made a digital photo frame from
> a "spare" 19" widescreen LCD, a few chunks of (black painted) wood and
> some clear gloss painted white laminex sheeting.  The plan was to run
> the thing via a link to main machines photo dir running Ubuntu.
>
> So two options (that I can think of):
>
>    1. Micro-plug-computer type thing running either from a wireless
> network or a plug.
>
>   2. Wireless monitor extender.
>
> Anyone happen to know of a #2 that will work under linux or are they
> fairly platform independent?
>
> Thanks
>

> --
> Andrew Janke
> (a.janke at gmail.com || http://a.janke.googlepages.com/)
> Canberra->Australia    +61 (402) 700 883

I did mine with an old EPIA-based box running diskless and fanless,
booting over the net and mounting the photos directory using NFS over
a wired LAN connection (my house has long been fully cabled).

Didn't bother too much about "framing" the LCD panel - it just hangs
on the wall like a flat panel TV. A nice wooden frame could improve
it, if I did it right... I also need to sort out hiding the power
and VGA cables...one day...

Don't know much about wireless monitor extenders. Pushing VGA/XVGA
over a wireless link is gonna hurt some, I'm thinking (on the other
hand, pushing JPEGs or other compressed images might work fine). How
expensive are those things?

What are you planning to do about fades between photos etc.? I ended
up using the KDE screensaver, which does all the fading stuff for
me (lots of different effects to choose from) as well as working
through a directory of photos. Need to stop/start it (un-screensave,
re-screensave) to get it to register changes to the directory of
photos, though.

It also does a good job of resizing to fit (so don't need to change
the original file), but can't automatically rotate, so I need to
rotate any "wrong" originals and save them as a copy. One day I'll
make up some sort of playlist including info on how much to rotate
each image so that I can work directly off of the original raw JPEGs
from the camera (I strongly dislike having multiple copies of data,
except for backups...).

Cheers,

Bob Edwards.