[clug] scp alternative

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Sat Apr 11 05:19:22 GMT 2009

George Bray <georgebray at gmail.com> writes:

> I need to build a system that copies lots of compressed files (video)
> around between different hosts, so scp sounds like the obvious choice.

[..]

> Does anyone know of an alternative solution where I get the
> client/host authentication of ssh, but don't get the CPU overhead of
> encrypting and compressing the payload?

Um, why do you want the client and host authentication?  Is there really
a security risk that someone will insert incorrect video into the target?

> PS - I'm trying to avoid fileshares/mounts for robustity over long
> times.

Unless your hosts are changing IP address then NFSv3/TCP should be
sufficiently robust for your needs — assuming that this is also WRT
authentication and/or connection relability?

Regards,
        Daniel