[clug] Android developer phones?

Arjen Lentz arjen at lentz.com.au
Fri Apr 10 02:17:34 GMT 2009

Hi Michael

On 10/04/2009, at 10:10 AM, Michael Still wrote:
> Arjen Lentz wrote:
>> On 10/04/2009, at 3:03 AM, Michael Still wrote:
>>> Try turning off the 3G radio to further increase your battery life
>>> if
>>> you don't care about data speed.
>>

>> That does require an extra little toggle tool that in fact needs to
>> invalidate the APN by changing the name string.
>> Bit of a hack - but it does work ;-)
>
> Really? Here's its just a menu item. Perhaps there is something odd
> about AU APNs...
>
> What happens if you go into:
>
>  Home > Menu > Settings > Wireless controls > Mobile networks
>
> And select "Use only 2G networks"?

Well that's not quite the same, is it.
I'm on 3 (Hutchison) with is UMTS (3G) not GSM (2G).
That's just for voice, not data.

I tried that switch and I think it does exactly what it says, namely
disabling UMTS and its data friend HSDPA.
So then I lose my voice connection as well (it then roams onto Telstra
as that's how 3 works, but still, not what we want).

And actually, if I were with a provided that had 2G as well, the
switch wouldn't turn off the 2G data, would it?
So then it'd still try to make a data connection.

Cheers,
Arjen.
--
Arjen Lentz, Director @ Open Query (http://openquery.com)
Affordable Training and ProActive Support for MySQL & related

My blog is at http://arjen-lentz.livejournal.com
OurDelta: free enhanced builds for MySQL @ http://ourdelta.org