[clug] Android developer phones?

jm jeffm at ghostgun.com
Thu Apr 9 06:49:35 GMT 2009

Arjen Lentz wrote:
> Hi Jeff
>
> On 09/04/2009, at 3:23 PM, jm wrote:
>> Starting to look seriously at getting a Andriod based phone, but
>> prefer to see one in the flesh first. Anyone with an Andriod based
>> phone going to tonight's psig talk?
>>
>> To any andriod based phone owners in general:
>>
>> * Where did you buy your phone from?
>> * Is it the Dev version?
>> * Had any problems with it?
>> * How much did it end up costing you (in AUD please)?
>> * Over all impression?
>> * Anything else?
>>
>> Trying to find firm pricing for the developer version but don't have
>> a android market place login and don't wish to pay $US25 to join just
>> to get a price.
>

> I got a G1 last week, through smoothmobiles.com.au which was just over
> AUD 600 including postage.
> They ship it from Hong Kong and it's essentially a T-Mobile G1, with
> an AU adapter, a plug adapter (yes both) and a very nice screen
> protector added in.
> It can also be recharged through the included USB cable, so I tend to
> not travel with the power adapter (a car with USB adaptor sockets or a
> laptop always being nearby).
> Comes with a 1GB microSD, so you may want to get a bigger one (I got a
> 16GB).

http://www.smoothmobiles.com.au/HTC-G1-p/htc-g1.htm

Seems prices have gone up thanks to the aussie dollar going the other
way. Now  $735.00 before adding the memory card ($19 for 1GB).
> It's not a dev version, so if I'd want root on the OS I'd have more
> hacking to do (haven't looked into it yet). Wouldn't need it for apps
> writing I would think.

Thought it was necessary to run unsigned apps. I'll have to double check.
> I'm pretty happy with it so far.
> The "locked down" quirks (like you can't switch off 3G data without
> switching off the 3G voice too) already has workarounds, I installed
> the "APNdroid" tool from the Google Market which tweaks the APN name
> with a string so it becomes invalid, thereby disabling the 3G data.
> Brilliant!

Interesting. Hopefully, these phones will have a long life and once the
quirks are ironed out there will still be some useful life left in them.

Jeff.