[clug] Light entertainment for this morning (NBN)

jm jeffm at ghostgun.com
Thu Apr 9 01:38:24 GMT 2009

I'll simple quote a rule of thumb from the teleco industry that "90-95%
of the cost of connectivity is in the last mile." The reason this is
true is that this part of the infrastructure has the lowest shared
component. As you approach the backbone you can share a give Mbps or
Gbps between customers oversubscribing quite a bit. This is even more
true as the bandwidth per customer at the edge increases as the customer
is less able to utilise the full capacity of their connection. Add to
this the cabability for things like multicast and it may be possible to
provide 100Mbps in the last mile and still have reasonable pricing.

Lastly, I'd add something that I heard  a while ago. When the bandwidth
doubles you get new appliciation appearing which you had never thought
of before, eg youtube.

Jeff.