[clug] Light entertainment for this morning (NBN)

Kevin Pulo kev at pulo.com.au
Thu Apr 9 00:27:52 GMT 2009

On Thu, Apr 09, 2009 at 10:14:55AM +1000, grail at velocitynet.com.au wrote:

> Sadly the cost of providing Internet connectivity from this high
> speed network is so high that a normal household can't possibly afford to
> have even 40Mbps to the home. To provision that kind of speed today you're
> looking at $1000/month (look at prices from Internode).

I expect that a price like this is likely to be for a commercial grade
connection.

In the new suburbs of Forde and Franklin (where I happen to be
building at the moment), TransACT is installing FTTH and are offering
10Mbps and 30Mbps plans.  The 10Mbps plans are around $55pm, and
30Mbps around $123pm, so while they are more expensive than the
average ADSL2+, they're not ridiculous.

http://www.transact.com.au/packages/fordeandfranklin/default.aspx

Kev.

| Kevin Pulo                Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur. |
| kev at pulo.com.au               _ll l_ng__g_e_ _r_ hi__ly p__d_ct__le. |
| http://www.kev.pulo.com.au/         God casts the die, not the dice. |
`--------------- Linux: The choice of a GNU generation. ---------------'