[clug] skype hdmi error

Andreas Bauer baueran at rsise.anu.edu.au
Sun Apr 5 01:53:22 GMT 2009

Dear Clugers,

I know that perhaps there is not a whole lot that can be done about
it, since nobody really knows how skype works, but until yesterday I
could get away using it without seeing the following error(s):

ALSA lib pcm.c:2202:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.hdmi
ALSA lib pcm.c:2202:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.hdmi
ALSA lib pcm.c:2202:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.hdmi

Rather "magically", skype stopped working since these messages showed
up.  No, I am not trying to use hdmi output, or anything fancy.
Interestingly, sound and microphone both work in other applications,
and even in skype itself the annoying system sounds still play fine,
it just won't let me do any calls, insisting that my audio hardware
has problems.  :-(

I'm on a fairly recent Debian unstable, using kernel 2.6.29, latest
alsa drivers and skype, etc.  I don't use KDE, Gnome, or their sound
servers.

Did any of you see such errors previously?

Any thoughts on this are greatly appreciated!

Andi.

aplay -l
card 0: ICH5 [Intel ICH5], device 0: Intel ICH [Intel ICH5]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: ICH5 [Intel ICH5], device 4: Intel ICH - IEC958 [Intel ICH5 - IEC958]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

arecord -l
card 0: ICH5 [Intel ICH5], device 0: Intel ICH [Intel ICH5]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: ICH5 [Intel ICH5], device 4: Intel ICH - IEC958 [Intel ICH5 - IEC958]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
root at vogon:/home/baueran# arecord -l
**** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices ****
card 0: ICH5 [Intel ICH5], device 0: Intel ICH [Intel ICH5]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: ICH5 [Intel ICH5], device 1: Intel ICH - MIC ADC [Intel ICH5 - MIC ADC]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: ICH5 [Intel ICH5], device 2: Intel ICH - MIC2 ADC [Intel ICH5 - MIC2 ADC]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: ICH5 [Intel ICH5], device 3: Intel ICH - ADC2 [Intel ICH5 - ADC2]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0