[clug] OT: gmail spam filter totally broken

Brett Worth brett at worth.id.au
Mon Sep 29 21:51:54 GMT 2008

Robin Shannon wrote:
> 2008/9/18 Brett Worth <brett at worth.id.au>:
>> lonniemo wrote:
>>> I'm also getting hit with a ton of spam in my personal account's inbox over
>>> the last 24 hours. It's usually very good for me too.
>> That's good news that it's not just me.   Oh well, misery likes company.
>>
>> Brett
>
> A bit late but what the hell: Yeah I got a ton of spam that lasted for
> a couple of days as well.

There's a bit of an epilogue to this.

Someone on this list, Bill Clarke (oh and thanks Bill)  sent a message to a friend of his
in google telling him of my plight.  This person contacted me asking for some samples of
my spam so I sent him 52 messages from the previous 24hrs.   As it turned out this problem
had just been fixed and was only seen by those who forward mail addressed to a different
domain to gmail.  The spam dried up within a couple of hours.

So Bill actually knew the exact person who could do something about the problem.  I wonder
if that guy in google knows Kevin Bacon.

Brett