[clug] Command of the Hour

Ian darkstarsword at gmail.com
Tue Sep 23 12:52:18 GMT 2008

Ok, here's another one that I spent about 15 minutes trying to
remember what it was called the other day:

mathomatic

>From the man page:
Mathomatic  is  a  general  purpose CAS (Computer Algebra System) and
calculator software that can symbolically solve, simplify, combine,
and compare algebraic equations, perform complex number and polynomial
arithmetic, etc.  It does some calculus and handles all elementary
algebra, except logarithms.

Here are some quick examples of how it can be used (best displayed
with a monospace font):

1-> a=5/b+c/b

        5   c
#1: a = - + -
        b   b

1-> simplify

        (5 + c)
#1: a = -------

1-> b

        (5 + c)
#1: b = -------

1-> c

#1: c = (b*a) - 5

1-> 0

#1: 0 = (b*a) - 5 - c

1-> a

        (5 + c)
#1: a = -------

1-> calculate
Enter b: 89
Enter c: 45

 a = 0.56179775280899

1-> c = (a*b) - 5

#2: c = (a*b) - 5

2-> compare 1 with 2
Comparing #1 with #2...
Simplifying both equations...

        (5 + c)
#1: a = -------

#2: c = (a*b) - 5

Solving both equations for zero and unfactoring...
Equations are identical.

2-> c=b^(1/2)

          1
#3: c = b^-
          2

3-> code c
c = pow(b, (1.0 / 2.0));
3-> code python
c = (b**(1.0 / 2.0))
3-> code java
c = Math.pow(b, (1.0 / 2.0));
3-> code integer
c = (b**(1 / 2));
3-> derivative b
Differentiating the RHS with respect to (b) and simplifying...

            1
#4: c = ---------
              1
        (2*(b^-))
              2

4-> integrate b

          1
#5: c = b^-
          2
5-> y=3x^3+9x^2+2x+5

#6: y = (3*(x^3)) + (9*(x^2)) + (2*x) + 5

6-> extrema
Equation is a degree 2 polynomial in x.
Equation was quadratic.

            1