[clug] ASUS Eee PC 1000 solid state with LINUX

Daniel Rose drose at nla.gov.au
Tue Sep 9 22:09:22 GMT 2008

steve jenkin wrote:
> Chris Smart wrote on 8/9/08 3:27 PM:
>
>> Also, Dell just released their EeePC competing product, the Mini 9,
>> which is more like an EeePC 901.
>
> Impressive review of the Mini 9 - compares it with ASUS and Macbook Air:
> <http://anandtech.com/mobile/showdoc.aspx?i=3399>
>
> The review says it comes with Ubuntu for "$349".
>
> Dell.com.au says: $599 + delivery ($49?) and Win XP SP3 :-(
>

> And interesting viewpoint in the review:
>
> "all things you could just as easily do on a smartphone - but it's
> easier to do on a netbook.
>
> "The netbook market exists because the perfect notebook/smartphone
> device hasn't been made yet.

I'll second that.  I went out wanting a phone with

Qwerty keyboard
Not Windows

Wifi optional bonus.

I couldn't find anything online or in shops.  Lots of discontinued stuff, lots of "coming soon"s, a few really over the top premium phones with GPS and everything, but nothing suitable available now.

Mind you this was 3 months ago, probably a generation in mobile phone years.

--
Daniel Rose
National Library of Australia