[clug] Help with 3 mobile broadband

Hal Ashburner hal.ashburner at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 15:01:00 GMT 2008

Michael Kenneth Simpson wrote:
> Hi,
>    I am planning to get 3 mobile broadband, bit I'm concerned the
> large upfront cost when I'm not sure how difficult it will be to
> get it working.  Is there anyone already has 3 mobile working with
> a usb modem who'd be willing to give me hands on assistance getting
> it working
Hi Michael,
If you're running something recent with NetworkManager working it's
trivially easy to get the the usb wireless broadband modems working.
Do look at vodaphone, virgin and optus plans before you commit to
anything won't you. Especially note how 3 deals with roaming and how the
price increases on you literally by a thousandfold if you're unwary,
which is a trap that is designed to catch you and make you hurt.

The kernel module for the one I use (virgin, huawei e220) is called
"option", if you're using a distro kernel less than 2 years old it will
be there. You need ppp installed.
The scripts I used are in the archives of this list or I'll send them to
you if you prefer.
But you don't need those, just know if your provider uses pap or chap
and their network name, eg "VirginBroadband", then know the phone number
to enter for the modem to dial (quaint isn't it?) is *99#.
There's a gui to enter those 3 things in network manager.
Then you pick it off the dropdown list and it connects.
Make sure you plug the thing in to 2 usb ports simultaneously so it has
enough power or it will randomly drop out after 15 seconds.

I'm not in canberra at present to help you out at a clug meeting or
similar, sorry.

Hal