[clug] [Offtopic] Mains voltage fluctuations

Michael Cohen scudette at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 13:10:05 GMT 2008

Peter,
  Are you saying that it only ever shuts down during the boot
sequence, but if it makes it past that its solid? That might indicate
that your power supply is unable to deliver the required current. When
the unit boots it tends to use most power and often the embedded micro
will also check the voltage levels so if they are too low it will
refuse to boot the system. Once you get past the initial boot the
voltage may fall much lower with no noticable effect on the system.

You should test the internal DC voltage if you can to ensure its
within specs. Does the unit have an external power pack or is it a
built in power supply? If its external you may be able to run it off a
bench power supply and check its stability when receiving accurate
supplies.

Michael.