[clug] Appropriate language for a task...

Lana Brindley lanabrindley at gmail.com
Mon Sep 1 07:46:32 GMT 2008

Not wanting to blow my own trumpet (too much!), but I recently published a
Tuning Guide for the Red Hat Enterprise Realtime product. Of course, it
focuses on the product specifically, but the first chapter has some good
general tuning ideas too.

Linkee here:
http://www.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_MRG/1.0/html/Realtime_Tuning_Guide/
PDF here:
http://www.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_MRG/1.0/pdf/Realtime_Tuning_Guide/Realtime_Tuning_Guide.pdf

Hope that goes some small way to help ...

Lana

2008/9/1 David Tulloh <david at tulloh.id.au>

> You can't get timing guarantees on a modern PC without a lot of effort
> (have a look at the realtime Linux work).  The PC just isn't designed
> for it, garbage collection is a fairly small issue compared to the
> scheduler.
>
> That said, a millisecond is a large time window to a processor so you
> should be able to get away without too much work depending on how
> critical the timing accuracy is to your application.
>

> David
>
> jm wrote:
> > You could turn GC off when needed.
> >
> > Jeff.
> >
> > Jason wrote:
> >>
> >> Never had to do something with millisecond accuracy though so don't
> >> know how well an interpreted language will cope with that, never know
> >> when those pesky garbage collectors are going to wake up or so I
> >> remember being told many years ago, might be fixed as an issue by now.
> >>

> --

Cheers! Lana

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
- George Orwell

http://lanabrindley.blogspot.com

See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html for more
information.