[clug] Another thought on Cleanfeed

Paul Matthews plm at netspace.net.au
Tue Oct 28 10:34:40 GMT 2008

*If* we do see a 70% slow down as indicated in some papers, then given
that my ISP and I had entered into a contract that he would provide
access at a given rate, and not one that is 70% slower.... hmm ... I
foresee a lot of ISP getting a lot of angry calls.

*If* it is doing content filtering on the whole file, then what is the
chance of *any* naughty four letter word appearing in a 4 Gb mostly
compressed (ie random data) ISO. Not good if its 98% of the way though
the download of course.

We had this problem with the filter at work. One IBM DB/2 patch was not
downloadable as the .zip binary had a four letter word in it.

--
Fools ignore complexity. Pragmatists suffer it.
Some can avoid it. Geniuses remove it.