[clug] Thinkpad T40 dual boot problem

Jason Stokes glasper9 at yahoo.com.au
Tue Oct 28 02:09:37 GMT 2008

Hal Ashburner said:

---
I upgraded my t42 harddrive a couple of years ago.
iirc I created recovery cds for windows from within windows, backed up the
data, installed the new disk, partitioned it how I liked it. Installed
windows from the cds, 'restored' the backed up data. Installed my distro of
choice which has never been ubuntu and never will be ;)

Dunno how useful that is to you. Probably not very given the way you're
going with it.
---

Well, I'd be happy to do it that way, except the T40 doesn't appear to have an
option to create recovery CDs.  I think I will try re-partitioning the drive again,
this time in xp (DiskPart is the command I think) and running the install program
from the recovery area one more time.  My problem is that the built-in xp install
routine seems to expect a particular partition lay out, and when create the
partitions with Fdisk it doesn't seem to like it.

      Make the switch to the world's best email. Get Yahoo!7 Mail! http://au.yahoo.com/y7mail