[clug] OT: Protesting the proposed clean feed?

Sunnz sunnzy at gmail.com
Sat Oct 25 06:51:13 GMT 2008

2008/10/25 jm <jeffm at ghostgun.com>:

> For a simple model: There's really three parts the producer, the consumer,
> and the transmission. The transmission resembles most closely the telephone
> or postal service. I think the postal service analogy is better as packet
> map to packages quite easily mentally as others have already mentioned. And,
> you can have TV shows sent to you as DVDs, voice as recordings on tape or
> CD, etc just as you can on the Internet. This avoid the confusion of the
> courier/carrier somehow being responsible for the actions of the producer or
> consumer which is where I'm sure part of the current confusion lies. Too
> lump everything in one basket called the Internet lacks the resolution to
> solve the underlying problem.

Well, if you import stuff from overseas, it may go through the custom
first. I guess that's what's so cool about the internet and where its
strength comes in and why it is so popular - even though that you are
sitting in a room in a specific geographic location, you may be
getting stuff from all over the world. In fact, that's precisely
what's going on under the hood all the time, unless you are suring in
intranet within Australia.

So the internet is really an abstraction of an information portal, the
very fundamental idea of the internet is that it is borderless, you
don't have to care about where the stuff is located geographically, in
fact, almost no one even bother to find out where anything is
physically located, I mean, you can find out if you want, but it is
almost always just irrelevant, it is on "the internet" and as long as
you know the url, you can find it.

I guess that's the heart of the problem, every country have their own
regulation or what not, so artifact within each country falls under
different laws and they are not always compatible with each other. The
internet is a whole different beast, because it is *by design*,
abstracted away the idea of geographic borders - things are either
online or offline, and of course it causes problems when a government
want to apply the same regulations that worked well with physical
located stuff to something that doesn't by design.

And if you think about it, that's precisely what's happening in China.
The "Golden Shield" is a firewall on the border, that is, only stuff
that is cross the border of China and the outside world is being
through the firewall, any internet traffic within China freely moves
around without going through the "Golden Shield", so it really does
work like a custom. Of course that works for China, the demand and
supply of more than enough within China itself, and then there is a
language barrier, I am not saying that Chinese can't read English or
what not, but if you are a Chinese, you are more likely to read
Chinese websites within China than anything else.

That's not the case for Australia, however. I know that a majority of
web sites I visit are from the U.S. It is also been confirmed by major
ISP that it is the international traffic that serves Australians. I
mean, I am not surprised, just by population, the supply and demand of
internet content within Australia is just much much lower then other
countries, U.S. Europe, whatever.
--
This e-mail may be confidential. You may not copy, forward or use any
part. All disclaimers on the Internet are of zero legal effectiveness