[clug] OT: Protesting the proposed clean feed?

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Fri Oct 24 07:23:28 GMT 2008

On 24/10/2008, at 15:18 , Nemo wrote:

> I would imagine the problem here is that you would then have to
> give assurance that the R rated internet does not _EXCEED_ that
> rating...

Then we get into "R 18+" rating which is already illegal when it
comes to Internet sites. My suggestion is simply to either take an
existing classification or create a new one, which simply states,
"only people capable of thinking for themselves and prepared to
accept responsibility for handling the eventuality of viewing
disturbing material are allowed to access this material."

Here is some basic advice for parents on how to deal with the
Internet safely without inviting the Government of the day to censor
as it sees fit:

Symantec:
   http://www.symantec.com/norton/products/library/article.jsp?
aid=kids_safe
University of Oklahoma:
   http://www.ou.edu/oupd/kidtool.htm
GreatSchools:
   http://www.greatschools.net/cgi-bin/showarticle/3122

These sites all emphasise that helping your children be safe on the
Internet requires personal attention. Which I thought would be part
of "parenting" as opposed to simply being a gene donor.

Alex