[clug] OT: Protesting the proposed clean feed?

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Fri Oct 24 00:21:31 GMT 2008

On 24/10/2008, at 11:13 , jm wrote:

> Just reading this and, as has been mentioned in a number of places,
> the  live trial. This made me think, as someone who works for a
> local ISP, a Canberran ISP should volunteer as a test bed.

My vote would be for the Australian Government to prove that this
system is workable by having Telstra implement it for their retail
customers. Having the option to leave Telstra for another ISP would
give the Government some incontrovertible evidence of how much the
populace actually supports mandatory filtering.

Then the Government can have filtering in place for as many people
exist in Australia who want prove that they are not pedophiles by
subscribing to Telstra!

It's a win-win situation for everyone! The paranoid get their broken
Internet, the rest of us get to live our lives as normal and not have
to worry about what stuff that *isn't* kiddie porn is being blocked
by the AMCA's black list. Just a reminder to folks to go research the
blocking of certain political party sites in the USA as a very public
example of what evil can be wrought with Internet filtering -
especially if the benchmark for false positives is set at such a
level that blocking of (for example) The Greens could be attributed
to "oops... maybe they shouldn't be talking about controversial
subjects such as land rights for gay whales then?"

Alex