[clug] OT: Protesting the proposed clean feed?

David Schoen neerolyte at gmail.com
Thu Oct 23 09:06:44 GMT 2008

I thought I would just add some info that people may find relevant but no
one has mentioned...

I worked at an ACT public primary school about 2 years ago, as a sys admin,
to trial Content Keeper ( http://www.contentkeeper.com/ ) after we had a
problem with a child looking up porn and the parent threatening us with
legal action if nothing was done. I believe after our trial it was
eventually rolled out to all k-12 public ACT schools, but that was after my
time. That's not the interesting part though...

The interesting part is that Content Keeper does not (at least from my
memory) suffer from most of the technical limitations that
nocleanfeed.comare claiming must exist. It allows content to be
categorised fairly well, it
also allows many disperse people to categorise content. If properly set up,
school admins and teachers were able to categorise new pages, and categorise
old pages, with minimal spot checking from higher up the chain of command.
It was also capable of having a disperse range of user types, so teachers
could see a lot of categories that students couldn't and the different user
types could be setup differently in each school, or sub-school. It did other
neat things like categorising google cache and image results with the page
it's actually caching, rather than with google. I don't think much of this
functionality was ever used after the trial I was involved in though :(

As much as I think Content Keeper is technically impressive I definitely
don't want it filtering my internets.

The thing I thought people may find interesting is that I work in a
government department now that is intercepting all https traffic (I don't
know if it's filtered, but all the ssl certificates I get belong to the
department and not the origin server). I find this abysmal as I can no
longer feel safe checking my bank account at work. I also can't verify that
software I download for work is from the intended source.

- Dave.