[clug] OT: Protesting the proposed clean feed?

Sunnz sunnzy at gmail.com
Thu Oct 23 01:24:44 GMT 2008

2008/10/23 Chris Tuckwell <christuckwell at grapevine.net.au>:
> Hi Guys
>
> I gather that the mechinism for filtering the 'bad' content is to have a
> list of md5 hashes supplied by the police to ISPs.  But any one can generate
> a file to hash to a target md5 if they dont care about it being openable.
>  So this could the possibly be abused to send a bunch of junk files which
> appear on the 'bad' list to someones email address where you wish to have
> them investigated by the police.

The trial that the ACMA have done, which I believe they didn't use
MD5, caused a degradation speed of over 80%. From what I have read, if
you do the maths and find out the speed each end user would have, it
is about equivalent of a 56k modem... so, without MD5, the internet
speed is 20% of a 56k modem.

Keep in mind the test was done in an idea lab environment.

I can't imagine the overhead it would cause if MD5 or SHA1 was used,
the bottleneck here is really the CPU, if they are going to calculate
huge number of hashes on the CPU as well, yea...

--
This e-mail may be confidential. You may not copy, forward or use any
part. All disclaimers on the Internet are of zero legal effectiveness