[clug] OT: Protesting the proposed clean feed?

Nathan Rickerby rickerby at gmail.com
Thu Oct 23 01:22:00 GMT 2008

On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 09:32:01AM +1100, Alex Satrapa wrote:
> On 23/10/2008, at 09:25 , Nathan Rickerby wrote:
>
>> The outcomes could be distilled, simplified and described
>> in non-technical language, some open source solutions could be
>> proposed.
>
> No!
>
> This is not a technical problem looking for a technical solution.
>
> This is a problem of politics. It's not about "we want to have a filter
> to stop our kiddies seeing bad men shoving things up their bums," it's
> about "I want to be perceived as having done something and taken decisive
> action."

I'm not suggesting the outcomes only be about technical solutions, but
also opinions from technically informed people about why it is bad policy.

I agree that it is not a technical problem but a technical solution is
being considered.  If it is a technical solution they want, then why
not propose some more suitable ones while addressing the policy issue.
That would give them the opportunity to make the required decisive action
but by backing one of the better solutions.  They could even call it
their own idea, I'm sure the original proposer wouldn't mind.

> What is needed here is a way to take the clue bat to the pollies and
> point out to them that even China can't get internet filtering right.
> The only way to protect kids from stuff you don't want them to see is to
> poke their eyes out. But then they'll just hear it instead.

Many would prefer they dropped the whole idea, but it seems that is
unlikely.

I still think there is value in putting together something that would
help listees in their responses (and having something to talk about at
CLUG). Reused boilerplate letters are better than nothing, they just
get tallied toward the campaign. There are very simple example letters
online that are suitable for that. As was mentioned earlier though,
individually written, concise letters are more effective.  Even more so
If those letters contain similar, consistent, well thought out arguments.
The EFA analysis is a good place to start when crafting a reply but it's
quite long.

Nathan