[clug] OT: Protesting the proposed clean feed?

Sam Couter sam at couter.id.au
Wed Oct 22 11:32:19 GMT 2008

Lana Brindley <lanabrindley at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm a Mum, and I'm all for this approach. It gives you a bunch of
> opportunities to talk to the kids about what is/isn't acceptable and why,
> and also gives you lots of neat segues into topics like cyber-stalking, what
> do about it, what's cool and what isn't etc etc.

I'm a Dad who's kid is still a year or two from causing me this
particular headache, and I totally agree.

But there's a fatal flaw in this idea: It requires active parenting.
When educating their children has to cover all sorts of uncomfortable
grown-up subjects, parents will look for Somebody Else to Do Something.

The only reason this latest proposal is DOA is because of technical
problems. It's simply not going to work. It will be an expensive and
hopefully embarrassing failure.
Sam Couter         |  mailto:sam at couter.id.au