[clug] OT: Protesting the proposed clean feed?

Lana Brindley lanabrindley at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 03:50:04 GMT 2008

2008/10/22 David Tulloh <david at tulloh.id.au>

> Robert Edwards wrote:
>
>> The question I think we should be asking is how can Open Source help
>> solve this problem at the individual subscriber level? What is the best
>> that we can offer to parents/educators etc. who really do want to be
>> able to restrict what their children or other dependents can access on
>> the Internet?
>>
>> What is our "best practice" for home Internet filtering?
>>
>> Looking forward to hearing what others may have done.
>>

> I don't have children and so don't filter my internet, and don't really
> know what I'm talking about.  It's always struck me though, that logging
> would be better than filtering.
>
> Log every url visited and ensure that the kids know that you do it and look
> at it occasionally.
>
> If you want to more obvious/fun have a display in a public place of the
> last few pages viewed.
>

> It would also allow you to know what they are trying to view and approach
> them on why it's an issue.

I'm a Mum, and I'm all for this approach. It gives you a bunch of
opportunities to talk to the kids about what is/isn't acceptable and why,
and also gives you lots of neat segues into topics like cyber-stalking, what
do about it, what's cool and what isn't etc etc.

Another good idea is having the computer in an open space, where you can
glance over (or casually walk behind them) at any time. Locking them away in
their rooms only tempts fate.

> David
> --

Cheers! Lana

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build
bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
-- Rick Cook

http://lanabrindley.blogspot.com

See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html for more
information.