[clug] OT: Protesting the proposed clean feed?

Lana Brindley lanabrindley at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 02:03:56 GMT 2008

2008/10/22 Alex Satrapa <grail at goldweb.com.au>

> On 22/10/2008, at 12:16 , Lana Brindley wrote:
>
>  ... all they are hearing is that the government are saving the
>> children from seeing porn. Now you know and I know that that is about as
>> far
>> from true as you can get, but unfortunately we're not the only people who
>> vote.
>>

> The worst bit is that they're going to stop me viewing porn!
>
> I don't care that the filter will also stop me reading the Liberal
> Democratic Party or Australian Motorist Party websites. They're only fringe
> groups whose opinion I don't respect anyway!
>
> Yeah! Bring on the "porn filter we had to have"!
>
> And will *someone* please make the Lapthornes shut up? Geeze... their
> daughter goes overseas and gets herself killed, suddenly they're in the news
> every night deprecating the good name of our very democratic Government!
>
> But seriously, the most traumatic memory I have is watching a Tootsie woman
> being decapitated with a machete. I wasn't even in Rwanda - one moment the
> news was about some Hollywood personality, next there was a scene from
> Rwanda with a woman running away from a village with her children, the
> Ihuitus caught her and chopped her head off. The news presenters didn't even
> bother dithering out the act.
>
> Will the "clean feed" allow that kind of footage on the Internet? After
> all, it was appropriate for a prime time News article on TV.
>
> Which leads me to ask the question, who determines what is "inappropriate"?
> Senator Harradine? Dr. Frankenfurter?
> Alex

You've hit on some good issues here, but I think the main thing we need to
be debating is not so much the technical aspects of what will be filtered or
not filtered, how it's going to work, opt-in/opt-out and all the rest, but
whether or not we (as voters) will allow the government to implement a
filter.

Once we've compromised on a filter (we'll have a filter, provided it does
[x]), we'll never be rid of it., and the next compromise we make will be one
step further away from where we would like to be.

Cheers! Lana

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build
bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
-- Rick Cook

http://lanabrindley.blogspot.com

See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html for more
information.