[clug] OT: Protesting the proposed clean feed?

Brett Wheeler brett.wheeler at daramalanc.act.edu.au
Wed Oct 22 01:21:39 GMT 2008

Jack Kelly wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> I hope you don't mind the OT'ness of this post, but here goes:
>
> I don't know how many have seen Minister Conroy's plan to force
> internet censorship Australia wide, but *** ********** ********* *****
> http://nocleanfeed.com/ ********** ******.
>
> Letter-writing would be a good idea around about now.
>
> There have also been some rumblings on the ANU Dept. of CS's internal
> discussion boards about organising an in-person protest. Has anyone
> here done that sort of in-person activism before? How do you not get
> ignored by passers-by?
>
> -- Jack
As I currently work in a Government censored environment, I can tell you
they cant get their act together!!

Being a 7-12 school I can understand some of the filters, but to block
sites due to "Humour", "Commercial", "Hobbies" and "Forums" seems to be
pushing the point.

ie. Just before it was closed down, I tried to go to the Old Sydney Town
site only to be rejected due to "Nudity and Adult themes".(Now it is
closed I can actually get to the page!)

We have the filter rejection page show for a large number of sites that
are perfectly innocent.

Sites are blocked by IP address, so, if a server is hosting a Maths site
and a porn site, both will be unavailable.

Searches for "breast cancer" are just a joke, google returns hundreds
but you cant actually access very many.
</rant>

I'm definitely gunna be writing!

--
Brett Wheeler

IT Systems Administrator
Daramalan College
Dickson ACT 2602
Australia

Mob (+61) 0417 228 714

email brett.wheeler(AT)daramalanc.act.edu.au

* Only the good die young, *
* I love my immortality.   *

--
Important - This email and any attachments may be confidential. If received in
error, please contact us and delete all copies. Before opening or using