[clug] Problems with Samba and Win2000

jimadiva jim at adiva.com
Mon Oct 20 21:07:42 GMT 2008

This one is driving me crazy.....

I have an environment where I have a Linux (Centos 4) server using Samba to
share directories that are accessed from 1 Win2000 system and many WinXP and
Vista systems.  The WinXP and Vista systems all read and write files to the
Samba shares without issue.  The Win2000 system is a different story....

I can map the Samba shares without issue
I can view and open all files on the Samba share through Windows Explorer
without issue

When I try to save the files however is when everything goes awry.... the
saved file's permissions instead of being rwxrwxrwx end up being ---------.
At that point, I can no longer open these new files nor can I overwrite
them.

Anyone know of any issues with Win2000 and samba?  I'm using Samba version
3.0.13-1.4E.2.

Again, I have no issues whatsoever with WinXP and Vista leading me to
believe there is either something special I need to do for Win2000 or there
is a bug I don't know about and I'll be forced to upgrade.

smb.conf looks like this....

[global]
workgroup = DEFAULT
server string = lnxserver
log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
max log size = 50
security = user
  encrypt passwords = yes
  smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
  unix password sync = Yes
  passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
  passwd chat = *New*UNIX*password* %n\n
*ReType*new*UNIX*password*%n\n*passwd:*all*authentication*tokens*updated*successfully*
      socket options = IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192
SO_SNDBUF=8192
 local master = no
  dns proxy = no
  preserve case = yes
  short preserve case = yes
  default case = lower
        idmap uid = 16777216-33554431
        idmap gid = 16777216-33554431
        username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
        password server = None
        realm = None
[homes]
        comment = Home Directories
        browseable = no
        writeable = yes
        valid users = %S
        create mode = 0664
        directory mode = 0775

[server]
        comment = Main Server Directory
        path = /server
        public = yes
        writeable = yes
        printable = no
        create mask = 777
        oplocks = False
        level2 oplocks = False

[server_bak]
        comment = Backup for Server Directory
        path = /server_bak
        public = yes
        writeable = yes
        printable = no
        create mask = 777
        oplocks = False
        level2 oplocks = False

Thank for any and all comments in advance....