[clug] Elastic tabstops

David Tulloh david at tulloh.id.au
Thu Oct 16 22:18:57 GMT 2008

Craig Small wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 08:24:38AM +1100, Nathan Rickerby wrote:
>
>> Who uses proportional fonts for coding?  Does the increase in readability
>> that a proportional font gives you on large bodies of text also apply
>> to code?
>>
> I've never seen that, I would thought proportional font in programming
> code would come out strange.
>
>  - Craig

I'm not sure it would come out strange, but it would mean that you can't
line up code on anything other than the start of the line.  I'm one of
the people who likes his = and => columns to line up.

I can see fancy tabs working fairly well in a fancy editor, it sounds
like how Microsoft Word implemented tabs.  If you just use the tab
symbol in the ascii files it should be backwards compatible with all us
normal tab users too.

David