[clug] Linux Security

jm jeffm at ghostgun.com
Thu Oct 9 22:33:48 GMT 2008

I run a mail server using postfix which provides smtp and smtps with
auth. On the receiving side I use dovecot to provide pop3, pop3s, imap,
and imaps. I've had amazingly few problems with this set up even though
it's located out in the wild and not behind any firewalls. The only time
the server causes me trouble is when a user gets a virus or other
malware which sends a lot of spam. If you run the server to only relay
mail for the local host and for authenticatied users you shouldn't have
this problem as I don't think the malware writers are writing software
to do authenticated smtp (yet).

As to spam filtering for incoming mail there are a number of solutions
out there. I'd likely go with a transparent smtp proxy. A name of a good
one escapes me at the moment, but I'm sure someone else can suggest one.

Jeff.