[clug] VOIP advice

Chris Smart mail at christophersmart.com
Thu Oct 2 07:17:56 GMT 2008

2008/10/2 Brian <bnc at astronomicalresearchaustralia.org>:
> Chris,
>
> Andrew Janke wrote:
>> This is where the magic of "Dial plans" comes in.  Via a cryptic
>> syntax you can set up all sorts of complex things such that 1300 calls
>> use your landline and anything else uses VoIP and the likes.
>>
> In addition you can do direct ip-ip dialing, although I have not tried it.
>
> All the above depends on setting up the dial plans so,
>
>> In my case it is all moot given that I am "nekkid"!

I did look into "nekkid" too, but I'm in Gungahlin and stuck with
1.5Mbit (previously I had Internode ADSL2+ at 9MBit!), so Telstra
phone line for me. I'm just thankful I could get ADSL at all!

>> However this does depend on the ATA adaptor in question, some even
>> support multiple SIP providers (one for local, one for international,
>> etc).
>>

> Whichever ATA you get insist on seeing the manual as well.

Will do.

I have just signed up with Internode's Nodephone to test it out. From
everything I can see, it appears to be one of (if not the) highest
quality VOIP provider in Australia with dedicated network
infrastracture to go with it. Seems to make sense, although they are
more expensive, people say the quality of the calls is such that it
makes it worth it.

It should work with Ekiga, so I'm going to try that first and see how it goes.

If all is well, I'll look into getting a new router and ATA device
(probably separate because I want an all in one Linksys router).

I'll be sure to provide some feedback :)

Thanks again to everyone for their help!

-c