[clug] spdif output for MythTV

Nathan O'Sullivan nathan at mammoth.com.au
Thu Oct 2 07:03:52 GMT 2008

For surround an SPDIF socket can only play AC3 (aka Dolby Digital); for
stereo it will accept PCM which is why your stereo works.

So, you cant just play a 6 channel PCM wav over SPDIF  unless you have
software/hardware to convert that into AC3.

For mythtv this should be fine still, as Digital TV standards include
AC3 for surround