[clug] VOIP advice

Craig Small csmall at enc.com.au
Wed Oct 1 22:42:22 GMT 2008

On Wed, Oct 01, 2008 at 10:56:09PM +1000, Chris Smart wrote:
> Also, while I'm on the topic, does anyone use a physical phone to
> connect to a VOIP provider? And if I got one, could I connect to any
> VOIP provider, i.e. diamondcard.us?

For me i use the ISP I have my connection with, which is Internode.
I've got a Billion 7402VGP ADSL modem which has the VoIP and QoS
built into it.  I then just plug a normal phone into the modem.

Internode is not the cheapest VoIP provider but as all the VoIP traffic
sits on their network the quality is really good.  It's also reliable so
I don't hear complains, which is worth the few extra cents a month to
me.  To an average user, like me, it just sounds like a normal phone
call, no matter what we're doing on our 1500k
ADSL1-only-because-the-telstra-bastards-put-me-on-a-rim link.

 - Craig
--
Craig Small      GnuPG:1C1B D893 1418 2AF4 45EE  95CB C76C E5AC 12CA DFA5
http://www.enc.com.au/                             csmall at : enc.com.au