[clug] VOIP advice

Andrew Janke a.janke at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 14:08:28 GMT 2008

> You need plenty of bandwidth.

Perhaps, I think this is more a function of how "close" you are to
your provider...  But that could be just pontificating on my part.
(see below)

> You need a modem with QOS.

  $_ =~ s/need/should\ have/

> However, the quality of the provider seems to be very important.
> I have had a pretty bad time with calls dropping out, service being
> disrupted for days!

Aye. I used to use freshtel and while it was ok it was what I came to
believe VoIP "was" (a bit laggy at times and not the clearest). When I
then started to use iiTalk I was pleasantly surprised to find it as
good as "normal" calls. Now this does not mean that iiTalk is the best
VoIP service, I put this down to having no-one between my ADSL
provider and my VoIP provider which means I get precious little lag.
how you influence this I have no idea beyond using the VoIP that your
ADSL connection provides.

> http://www.jmgtechnology.com.au/spa_3000_guide.pdf

$digg++ for the above guy. He has plenty of helpful guides there on
the strange world of "dial plans". And to think that I thought perl
regular expressions used to look like line noise.

--
Andrew Janke
(a.janke at gmail.com || http://a.janke.googlepages.com/)