[clug] VOIP advice

Brian bnc at astronomicalresearchaustralia.org
Wed Oct 1 13:52:57 GMT 2008

Chris Smart wrote:
> It's time for me to jump on the VOIP bandwagon.. does anyone have any advice?

You need plenty of bandwidth.
You need a modem with QOS.
A lot will depend on your connection.
Andrew is using 'nekkid dsl'
Rainer is using adsl2
I am using Longreach.

If you use adsl2 you can buy a modem with voip built in

> I intend to use Ekiga for PC -> PC and figured I may as well get a
When you get around to testing this let me know, I can test my end too.

> calling out card through their partner http://www.diamondcard.us - but
> I've no idea who they are or whether I should.
Not sure this is required , see below.
However, the quality of the provider seems to be very important.
I have had a pretty bad time with calls dropping out, service being
disrupted for days!
Having said that it is a lot better now.
KMOO, is slowing getting it together.
I did some evaluation of various providers and found Pennytel to be
about the cheapest
http://www.pennytel.com/
but I went for kmoo because it was local.
TPG are also supposed to be good.
http://www.tpg.com.au/voip/products_services.php

> Has anyone does such a crazy thing before? :)
Crazy, is a good word. I thought I was given my problems.

> Also, while I'm on the topic, does anyone use a physical phone to
> connect to a VOIP provider? And if I got one, could I connect to any
> VOIP provider, i.e. diamondcard.us?

I have a Sipura 3000 which has been rebranded to Linksys.
This is the same box that Engine uses, but they lock it down so that you
have to go with them. Mine can sign up to anyone.
Easy to configure, plug the phone into the box and the box into your router.
Set up an IP address for the box and assign a QOS of 1 for that IP
address in your router.

This is a link to a guide for my router, which also contains the
settings to make it 'Australian'.
http://www.jmgtechnology.com.au/spa_3000_guide.pdf

The guy also sells them.

Brian