[clug] Data recovery services for 9 track tapes?

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Tue Nov 25 00:30:07 GMT 2008

On 25/11/2008, at 11:02 , Jim Watson wrote:

> something related here:
> http://www.bananasinpyjamas.com/news/stories/2008/11/10/2415393.htm

This is one reason I've been trying to keep all my data on "live"
disks for a while. I lost about 4MB (15 or so floppies) of MOD files
(the old Amiga music format) including one particularly precious one
concocted from Captain Jean Luc Picard soundbites. I've worked for a
company where backups were kept on one media, with 7 years of archives
rendered useless one week when the parent company decided to upgrade
all the computing equipment and auction off the old stuff including
the magneto-optical drive.

Right now, a Drobo is looking like a really nice idea, right up until
about the time that SATA gets end-of-lifed...

I'm so happy that I work with digital media. Imagine how hard life is
for folks having to deal with paper! Keep those sheets of paper too
long and suddenly you can't photocopy them anymore because the new
photocopier decides that they look too much like some MPAA goon's
screenplay, the digital camera decides you're trying to forge
identification documents, and the video camera purposefully blurs out
the text in order to prevent copyright violation.

Alex