[clug] What causes an unkillable process?

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at svana.org
Sun Nov 23 12:20:43 GMT 2008

On Sun, Nov 23, 2008 at 04:11:27AM -0800, Jason Stokes wrote:
> The following process:
>
> > 10685 jason     20   0  143m 8500 8492 D 64.9  1.6 937:50.21 totem
>
> Won't die with kill -9, not even as root.  Sure, I can just reboot, but I'm wondering what on earth causes such a thing.

D state is unkillable. It means it's stuck in the kernel somewhere. I
thought there was a way to find out exactly where, but I can't remember
how. One of the sysrq commands?

The most common causes are disk access, reading/wrting from a stuck NFS
mount, broken hard disk, etc.

Once it gets out of the kernel the process will be killed before it
reaches userspace. So it's just a matter of finding out where it's
stuck.

Oh yes, kernel bugs can cause this too :)

Have a niec day,
--
Martijn van Oosterhout   <kleptog at svana.org>   http://svana.org/kleptog/