[clug] Firefox plugin or special proxy software to archive my browsing history?

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Fri Nov 21 05:52:34 GMT 2008

I'm fairly sure my situation isn't unique - I look up stuff on the
Intarwebs, thinking "wow that's useful!" So I bookmark it on Delicous.
Then I head off to my girlfriend's place (she has no phone line, much
less broadband) or off to the coast, a friend's farm or one of Steven
Conroy's concentration camps where there is no Internet access. I whip
out my laptop to squeeze some development time in, only to find that I
didn't perfectly memorize the content of interest.

Looking at the Firefox Add-ons site, there's a plugin called
"Slogger"[1]. Unfortunately using Slogger requires using Firefox. I'm
not about to try writing a plugin manager for wget or LWP that will
let my command-line applications use Firefox plugins.

So I keep looking... there's a package called "MM3-WebAssistant"[2],
which seems like it does just about exactly what I'm after. But it's
written in Java and using it makes me feel dirty.

Can you think of any package that can store copies of every web page I
visit for later recollection? Bonus points if it make online/offline
transition seamless, so I can run the software all the time and
configure my laptop web browser(s) to use this software all the time!
Triple bonus (physical challenge!) if it provides some means to search
the archive.

Alex

[1] http://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/143
[2] http://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/Offline-Browsers/MM3-WebAssistant-Proxy-Offline-Browser-2007.shtml