[clug] MinTV DVB-T Digital TV Tuner

Hal Ashburner hal.ashburner at gmail.com
Wed Nov 19 05:04:20 GMT 2008

You might like to try something like the following:
install dvb-apps package or whatever this is being called on your distro.

then get your channels.conf
dvbscan /usr/share/dvb/dvb-t/au-canberra > channels.conf
dvbscan /usr/share/dvb/dvb-t/au-Canberra-Black-Mt >> channels.conf

drop this into .xine or .mplayer or .gstreamer-0.10/dvb-channels.conf
or .tzap or someplace and symlink to the other places you want so you have
one channels.conf and any changes to it change everywhere.

If you want to use totem to watch tv you'll need gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad
and gstreamer0.10-fluendo-mpegdemux. Then just select the relevant entry
from the 'file' menu, channels in the side panel. This requires the
channels.conf to be in .gstreamer-0.10/ and named dvb-channels.conf
I find I get less satisfactory reception with this than with xine for some
reason despite a preferable interface.

xine requires a channels.conf in .xine
$ xine dvb://"name of channel"
will start it from the command line. The mouse wheel can change channels
when you're running, as can the "DVB" button on the gui thingo.

mplayer, gmplayer also work. I haven't tried kaffeine, for all I know it's
better than any of the above.

Test reception with
$ tazp "channel name"
Note also that the channel name is the first thing on the line in the
channels.conf file and you can edit the name to something that makes more
sense to you if you want.

The LED on the ASUS U3000 mini does work, it doesn't light up with the
firmware and front end that actually makes the thing pick up tv pictures. It
came on rather often when I was trying to make it go by hacking drivers to
use different combinations, this was before ASUS made me happy and shiny by
realeasing drivers & code.

I have zero experience of PVRs, sorry.

--
Do you think that when they asked George Washington for ID that he
just whipped out a quarter?