[clug] Possible Imminent Hard DrIve Failure

Rodney Peters rodneyp at pcug.org.au
Mon Nov 17 20:38:48 GMT 2008

On Monday 17 November 2008 23:00:42 linux-request at lists.samba.org wrote:
> Re: [clug] Possible Imminent Hard DrIve Failure
>  From: Peter Barker <pbarker at barker.dropbear.id.au>
>  To: Paul Matthews <plm at netspace.net.au>
>  CC: linux at lists.samba.org
>
> On Mon, 17 Nov 2008, Paul Matthews wrote:
> > After looking though /var/log/messages today cannot see any messages
> > indicating which drive it was. Is there any other means to determine?
>
> Check "dmesg" output, which may or may not be going into
> /var/log/messages.
>
> Install some "SMART" tools (apt-get install smartmontools).  Check the
> output of "smartctl -a <devicename>".

In openSUSE this would be installed via "yast".  However, before it will
activate:

a.	SMART might need to be activated in the BIOS

b.	SMART will need to be enabled in System -> Runlevel Services

As a long term openSUSE user, I regard 11.0 as "unimpressive".  However, 11.1
is looking better, at the final Beta.  Perhaps hang in there and plan to do
an upgrade installation of 11.1.

Rod