[clug] Possible Imminent Hard DrIve Failure

Paul Matthews plm at netspace.net.au
Mon Nov 17 07:05:29 GMT 2008

Last night, in a highly paranoid state, and within the proximity of
children playing, I swear that one of the hard drives in my machine made
several "unnatural" noises.

After looking though /var/log/messages today cannot see any messages
indicating which drive it was. Is there any other means to determine?

And if it is the drive with the operating systems on it, which Linux
should be reinstalled. <Wears flame proof suit> Due to a long history
currently running OpenSUSE 11. Anyone with a compelling reason for
moving to an alternative?