[clug] Command of the Hour

Andrew Janke a.janke at gmail.com
Mon Nov 17 06:02:58 GMT 2008

> Another hint:
>  If a terminal stops responding (say you hit 'scroll-lock' by accident)
>  you probably want to type ctrl-Q (stty flow control, ^S = stop, ~Q go)

Now that was one that took me a long time to work out.

> Question:
>  Does anyone use 'job control' (fg, bg, ctrl-Z, jobs) in these days
>  of windows everywhere??

ie: "They're free, get a new one" :)  In fact the extra keys
(favourite 1, 2, 3, 4 ...) have been mapped to terminals of varying
types.  Still I do use bg and friends a lot especially when doing
remote admin on machine in Canada!

Question on these same lines:

How do you get your terminal back to "normal" after cat'ing a binary
file by mistake and the character map gets all screwed up?

ie:

$ cat /usr/bin/*
/ ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ
ÿÿ: ; < ÿÿ> ÿÿ⎻ ÿÿÿÿÿÿ

  ÿÿπ ≠
ÿÿ$%&'ÿÿÿÿÿÿ+ÿÿÿÿ./012] ^ ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ
Ctrl-C
␉␊┼:·$

?

I know you can reset it with a pointy-click but what is going on here?
 some wierd character map?