[clug] The 1st Internet Tax is here.

Kim Holburn kim at holburn.net
Thu Nov 13 08:23:54 GMT 2008

On 2008/Nov/13, at 1:48 AM, Daniel Pittman wrote:
>> You pay or you don't get paid.. It's a very harsh "standard" to
>> "demand".  Only the Bankers can pull this off.. It's sad..
>
> Just to check here, but are you actually arguing that companies that
> store your credit card details -- enough details to charge
> transactions
> to your card -- should *NOT* be help to a high standard?

Actually, if we had a decent payment system that was actually designed
to cope with the internet it wouldn't really be a problem.  It's
retrofitting an insecure-already system to the internet which makes it
worse.

What the credit card companies are doing is forcing on-line merchants
to pay for the their own bad security practises.

> Just in case my point isn't clear: credit card theft and subsequent
> fraud on the Internet comes from poorly stored credit card numbers, or
> from phishing, not from people stealing them in-flight.
>
> Requiring people who enable one of those two behaviours to implement
> high standards of accountability is, I think, quite reasonable.

designing a system where this wasn't necessary would be even better.